Dec. 13: Comfort zone

I guess I have to tell this story again. Here goes. 

It was the late 90s. I was in my mid-20s. Still living at home in Calgary, shifting from one dead end job to another. My little sister and bro were both blazing their individual career paths while I was washing dishes at hotel restaurants and/or driving legal documents and architectural blueprints across town.

So yeah, I felt like a loser. I'd studied theatre in theatre school and then discovered that I didn't have the talent or the drive to make it as a pro. I wanted to write and I had a fledgling idea for a novel, so I decided to save up my money for a good six months and then move to a small town where I didn't know anyone so I could immerse myself in my craft.

This I did in the fall of 1998, moving to a small town in the southeastern corner of Saskatchewan. Nothing came of that novel but, while in that small town, I penned a couple pieces for the local newspaper. I used those pieces to get hired at a bigger newspaper, and then I got hired at an even bigger newspaper, and now, more than two decades later, I am editing a newspaper. 

None of this would have happened had I not left Calgary to pursue a dream. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened had I just stayed in that comfort zone. At the time, I thought I'd go away for six months and then move back to Calgary, but I haven't been a full-time Calgary resident since I left. I have visited several times, but I haven't lived there for the entirety of the 21st century (so far.)

And I'd like to think that one day, I'll finish that book.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dec. 15: Is it Wednesday

July 23: Moonstones and rubies

July 27: Elephants in green socks